In this guide, we'll be setting up an ERC-20 token on the Rinkeby test network - start thinking what name you would like to name your very own ERC-20!
- Hardhat: Hardhat is an Ethereum development platform that provides all the tools needed to build, debug and deploy smart contracts.
- Alchemy: Alchemy is a blockchain development platform from which we will use some APIs to help query the Ethereum blockchain.
Step 1: Hardhat Guides Setup
Go to the ChainShot Hardhat guides setup doc and follow the steps to set up Hardhat and dotenv!
Step 2: Set Up ERC-20 Contracts And Scripts
Once you have scaffolded out your project using the guide in Step #1, let's set up the rest of our project:
Follow along if you want to create a GoofyGoober token like us but also feel free to replace the name with yours and make your own token!
The token symbol you choose, in our case "GG" can be any arbitrary character length but do keep in mind that some UIs may display ones that are too long differently.
Now that we've got a whole contract set up, let's create the deployment script for it!
Step 3: Deploy Your ERC-20 Token!
- Go to https://rinkeby.etherscan.io/ and input your outputted Token address to see your deployed ERC-20 contract on Rinkeby!
Now it's time to have the real fun! Send some of your new tokens to your friends and family, stimulate an economy - create the Bitcoin/Ethereum of the future! In this guide, you deployed your own ERC-20 token on Rinkeby using the OpenZeppelin ERC20 standard - great job!
Step 4: Send Some Tokens!
We are going to challenge you to send some tokens in one of two ways:
- More Challenging Way: Write your own Hardhat Script to do an airdrop!
- Simpler Way: Add your ERC-20 token to MetaMask and send it to an address via the UI!